Why, you ask? Well, after years of browser domination by Adobe’s Flash / Flex technologies, a perfect storm of circumstances have come about simultaneously. They include:
- HTML5 is the safest choice for new web applications because it is widely supported in the most recent version of each of the major desktop and mobile browsers – even Microsoft Internet Explorer 9.
- HTML5 doesn’t have the restrictions that Apple’s App Store does.
- Use of HTML5 doesn’t require giving up a 30% slice of your app’s revenues (like the Apple App Store does).
- Apple’s iPhone / iPad don’t support Adobe Flash.
- There can be performance issues with Adobe Flash in mobile browsers that do support it.
- Unlike Adobe Flash, HTML5 allows you to write once and run everywhere – without proprietary browser plug-ins.
- HTML5 will be used to built apps in Microsoft Windows 8 and the next version of Microsoft Office.